Monday, December 10, 2012

A Public Service Announcement

Last year, I was in Missouri and unbeknown to me, I had a head light out. I was pulled over by a county trooper for it.  I was kinda shocked as I check these things frequently due to a retired ubermechanic father's influence.  As it was evening, one of the first questions was "have you been drinking"?  Yeah, I had had two glasses of wine earlier.  Sobriety test.  On the way back, I was pulled over 2 more times for the headlight (within minutes of each other at 1 AM in Pekin and Bartonville) and asked the same question.  The next evening on my way home from work, I was pulled over in East Peoria (enroute to buy new headlight and to "Henry's Garage" to install it).  After the usual license/proof/why I pulled you over spiel, I get "have you been drinking?".

The reason for this post, you ask?  It is the holiday season.  You might have a glass wine/cocktail/beer or two at a gathering, company party, etc.  You know what sucks?  Jumping up and down on one foot rubbing your stomach counterclockwise while touching your nose reciting the alphabet backwards in an outer Mongolian dialect in a 12 degree blinding snow storm on the side of the road at 1 AM.  Ya look like a trained circus animal trying to score snacks by doing tricks.  Not because you are drunk, but because your license plate light is out.  Don't want to increase your chances of getting pulled over after a mug of 'nog this season?  Check your car's lights...all of them: brake, tail, head, back-up, license plate, side marker, hell, I'd even check my dome light.

Now, before the negative comments start to fly: I DO NOT CONDONE DRIVING DRUNK OR BUZZED.  Most of us probably have thought we are OK at one time or another and most likely were not.  Don't, just don't.  Be smart, Be safe and have a joyous holiday season and don't screw your and someone elses because you took a chance.

1 comment:

Anne C said...

Years ago, when my husband was a junior officer in the army, he sometimes had to give the "Don't drink and drive" speech to the troops on Friday afternoons. Usually the talk went on for a good 20 minutes or so. These guys had heard it all---and forgot it the minute they stepped off the post. Weekends were often spent bailing the guys out of jail for drunk driving. One Friday, he had to give the speech, and he was as excited about giving it as they were to hear it. So, he said,
"If you're going to drink, don't drive.
If you're going to drive, don't drink.
If you're going to drink and drive, drink milk.
Have a nice weekend. Dismissed!"

You know, there were no bail-outs that weekend. And for months afterward, every Friday at least one of them would grin and say, "And if you're going to drink and drive, drink milk!"