Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Prairie Grill

Ah, yes, another independent. Makes my day. The Prairie Grill is located in Kickapoo, about a block west of the Ludy's, the Kickapoo legend on Route 150. The Prairie Grill is in the building that used to house a pizza joint and most recently Dobies' Ice Cream. There is no sign, however it is located at the four way stop on the northeast corner.

The building's layout is the same as previous businesses. However, local artwork and glass topped linens bring a more upscale presence to the small dining room. The dinner menu is fairly small offering about a dozen items ranging from $9.95 for a pasta dish up to $25.95 for the filet.

My DA had the Shrimp Scampi and found it quite tasty. A good amount of garlic but not overpowering. She chose the brown rice option to accompany her meal. I had the sesame crusted salmon. It was about a six ounce portion and also served with the brown rice. It had a reduction drizzled on it that I couldn't quite pick out, but tasted like a combination of teriyaki and balsamic. It was very good. We both had the house salad of baby greens which had dried soybeans, croutons and mozzarella cheese on it plus a ginger sesame dressing.

As they do not yet have a liquor license, they were pouring wine for free. Let me repeat that: they were pouring wine for free. One more time. Pouring wine for free. OK, it wasn't all you could drink; just a glass and a bit of a refill. I had a Jadot Beaujolis Village and my DA had a Yellow Tail chardonnay. If you look at their menu, these two will reasonably pair well with most offerings. And it was free.

The only thing I found odd was for how the owners are trying to promote a "nicer" image, I found the waitperson wearing a striped polo and jeans a bit odd.

Dinner with tip came to $42.00.

See You Around The Table....

8 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

I have heard nothing but good reviews since they have opened. I am going there this week to check out lunch, and possibly dinner this weekend. I heard they have a great prime rib!

Jennifer said...

Sounds good! We are on a pretty tight budget, so I'll have to stop by for lunch one day.

What's Shaking said...

Timely blog subject ! Iam will be doing a lunch there this week, your imput has me looking forward to it !

Anonymous said...

Wish I was DA - I miss my friend Kevin.

Chef Kevin said...

Dear anonymous.

I believe you to be one of four people.

You can reach me at kevin@chefkevincooks.com and you can certainly be a DA.

Anonymous said...

One of four people, huh.....

Funny thing - I don't know what DA stands for, but I want to be one.

Trying to make you guess who this is, but anything I would put, you would know......

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

I am one of the Chefs at the PG.....keep coming back..we promise it will just get better and better

Anonymous said...

We went last night for a birthday dinner and agree, a fantastic new addition to the dining scene!