Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fun & Games with mumblers on the phone.

Phone: ring, ring.

Me: (place of business), Kevin speaking, how may I help you?

Phone: mumble mumble mumble

Me: I'm sorry could you repeat that?

Phone: Mumble, application, mumble, mumble.

Me: You are checking on your application?

Phone: mumble, yes, mumble.

A very long pause.

Me: (over my shoulder to another managerial type person but so the person on the phone could hear me) Hey Bob, do we have an application that doesn't have a name on it in the office? I have a person on the phone who is checking on his application but apparently has no name.

Bob: No, I think all the applications have names on them.

Me: Sorry sir, all our applications have a name on them. Thank you for inquiring, though. (Click)

Moments later.

Phone: ring, ring.

Me: (place of business) Kevin speaking, how may I help you?

Phone: mumble mumble mumble Larry.

Me: Larry, did you just call about your application?

Phone (or Larry at this point): mumble yes.

Me: I'll let Bob know you called. Click.


This is a multi time a day occurrence. People call to "check on their application" and VERY RARELY give their name. Now how in the hell am I supposed to "check on your application" if you do not tell me who you are? So, of course, it is our "duty" to come up with creative ways to make people realize, "DUH, how can they check where my application in the scheme of things if I don't give my name?". Hmmmm how about "Hello, my name is Ginger Roberts. I filled out an application last week and was wondering if you had an opportunity to look it over and if you are still hiring. Not mumble, I sound like I just woke up and it is 2 PM, mumble, mumble. As my business relies heavily on customer service and communication, mumble, mumble, mumble just doesn't cut it.

1 comment:

newsanchormom.com said...

This happens to be on a daily bases too and I don't run a business. It's my husband's phone. It is over modulated when you turn it up high and you can't hear him at all when you turn the volume down. Another problem with the "crack"berry!